Software Engineer Associate, Investment Systems
Technology EnglandLondon, Requisition #: R192219
About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that shapes the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, but want to solve some of the world’s most complex problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $6 trillion of assets we have an exceptional responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
The position is for a Software Engineer within the Investment Systems Development team. Investment Systems is a team within the Aladdin Product Group and are responsible for technology utilized by Researchers, Portfolio Managers, Traders, Risk Managers, Compliance Officers and Investment Operations.
- Curious and eager to learn new things, with a healthy disrespect for the status quo
- Willing to embrace work outside of your comfort zone, and open to guidance from others; you make mistakes, but learn from them
- Passionate about technology, with personal ownership for the work you do
- Data-focused, with an eye for the details that matter to solve the problem
- Experienced working in either Portfolio Management or Investment Research Management
- Knowledgeable in Trading, Equity, FI, OTC, Exchange Traded Derivatives, Corporate Actions, Prime Brokerage, Compliance and long/short strategies and cash reinvestment
- Passionate about building quality software and scaling technology to meet the needs of tomorrow
- Building solutions for BlackRock and over 100 organizations who use our technology
- Developing in Java, Python, Cassandra, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, and many others
- Committed to open source, and contributing back to the community
- Writing testable software every day, with a focus on incremental innovation
- 2-5 years hands-on experience developing complex enterprise software systems.
- BA/BS in Computer Science from an accredited university
- Excellent investigative, problem-solving and communication skills
- An ability to translate real business problems into technical solutions
- Expertise working with project managers, technical supervisor and specialists across the SDLC lifecycle; understand systems requirements, design, development, testing, deployment and documentation.
- Experience working with teams across different time-zones and countries
- Strong object-oriented programming skills and knowledge in modern design patterns and implementation experience using one or more object-oriented languages (e.g. Java, C/C++, Python)
- Knowledge and experience developing and working with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Sybase)
- Experience building web components using latest in web technologies (e.g. React, Angular) and languages (e.g. TypeScript) will be a plus
- Experience developing using NoSQL and distributed storage technologies (e.g. Cassandra, HBase)
- Knowledge and experience adhering to software development process standard methodologies including test driven development (TDD), unit testing discipline, agile development and CI/CD strategies.
- Nice to have experience developing large-scale distributed software systems and streaming systems using open source distributed frameworks (e.g. Ignite)
- Nice to have experience developing and using enterprise search technologies (e.g. Solr, Elasticsearch)
Want to learn more?
For 30 years, to drive innovation, BlackRock has bought great minds together. From the very beginning technology was leveraged for insight and efficiency to help our businesses better understand their client’s objectives. BlackRock is accelerating innovation and technology to invest even more in our Aladdin platform and looking for people with a passion for technology and a love of solving complex problems to join our teams.
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2019, the firm managed approximately $6.52 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit @blackrock | Blog: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
At BlackRock, we work together with pride and passion to help millions of investors around the world build better financial futures.