About this role
Business Unit Overview:
The Financial Modeling Group (FMG) is responsible for the research and development of financial models underpinning the risk management and relative value analytics produced at BlackRock. The group also contributes to the infrastructure platform for the production of analytics and the delivery of analytic content to portfolio and risk management professionals both within and outside BlackRock. Given the diversity of business objectives among BlackRock Solutions clients and within BlackRock itself the models developed and supported by the Financial Modeling Group span a wide array of financial products, ranging from equity to fixed income to derivatives. In addition, members of FMG seek to provide analysis and insight on many different levels from analysis of the cash flows of a single bond to the overall financial risk associated with an entire portfolio, enterprise or balance sheet.
The successful candidate will lead the design and development of analytical models and methodologies used in investment process and portfolio risk management as well as maintain and support existing models and applications. We offer a dynamic, team-oriented environment with tremendous learning and growth potential.
- Interacting with product managers and internal clients to specify and design new functionality
- Conducting empirical finance research using different econometric techniques
- Presenting research proposals/findings to internal and external stakeholders and obtaining committee approval as needed
- Establishing model technical specifications and working with engineering teams to implement models
- Working with Analytics Content Management and client teams to deploy models into production ensuring that they are efficient and robust
- Documenting models and processes
- Investigating and resolving of client issues under time constraints
- Helping to maintain and performance-monitor existing models and processes
Skills & Qualifications:
- 3-4 years of experience in quantitative/statistical modeling
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline – master’s in Finance / Economics / Statistics / Financial Engineering / Math Finance, etc.
- Knowledge of investments, portfolio management, and financial econometrics and empirical asset pricing. Knowledge on alternatives/private investments a strong plus
- Hands-on experience with statistical software (e.g., Python, R, MATLAB) and strong background in programming. Proficiency with Python strongly preferred
- Experience with data handling (ETL, data joining with SQL, cleaning, processing, summarizing, descriptive analysis), and building and backtesting statistical and econometric models
- Experience with various machine learning algorithms a plus
- Prior work experience in financial modeling (e.g., risk models, analytics) or data science and model deployment to production environment is a strong plus
- Strong desire to apply quantitative skills to address financial problems and issues that BlackRock encounters in the course of business
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail and strong work ethics
- Possesses a positive attitude and ability to work both independently and as part of a team (within a department or in an inter-departmental/virtual setting), in a fast-paced environment
- Possesses excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to synthesize requirements from multiple stakeholders and translate those into actionable plans
- Organized in carrying out the responsibilities, possess strong time management skills and should be high on focus
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, family status, gender identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected attributes at law.