About this role
The Alpha Gen Technology group (AGT) helps BlackRock investment teams deliver market leading performance (alpha) to their clients. We work with investment researchers to develop predictive signals and strategies that are traded on BlackRock hedge funds and other active portfolios. The services we provide range from: quantitative library development, model engineering, alpha platform development and investment technology R&D. People in the team are based in London, Budapest, Mumbai, San Francisco and Sydney. AGT’s Investment partners include Active Equity, Fixed In‐come, Multi-Asset Strategies, Sustainability Strategies, and the Risk and Quantitative Analytics Team. AGT is part of BlackRock’s Aladdin Product Group (APG). Aladdin is an investment platform that is used to manage more than $15 trillion by clients of Aladdin.
Your role and impact
The position is for a Quant Engineer within the Alpha Gen Technology group’s Model Servicing team. The Quant Engineer partner closely with Researchers and Portfolio Managers to implement industry leading signals and models to drive daily investment processes. We are involved in the full lifecycle of the Alpha Gen process including design, architecture, development, implementation, tuning, production support and maintenance.
- Work closely with Researchers to implement trading signals and models used for making investment decisions
- Identify and implement ways to improve the efficiency of production processes and infrastructure
- Support and maintain Production processes and infrastructure
- Collaborate with platform team to develop new features for alpha gen platform
- Identify and utilize new alpha-enabling technology in signal implementation
- 2+ years hands on developer experience of object-oriented design pattern knowledge and implementation experience using Python or Java. Knowledge of workflow management frameworks such as Dask/Airflow is a plus.
- Knowledge in SQL and experience working with relational databases (Sybase, SQL Server)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or Mathematics related field from an accredited university
- The ability to apply mathematics, machine learning or quantitative analysis to tackle complex problems and deliver high quality solutions.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a keen attention to detail and an inclination to validate everything
- Knowledge and experience adhering to software development standard methodologies including test driven development (TDD), unit testing discipline, agile development and CI/CD strategies.
- A genuine interest in investment strategies, risk, equities, fixed income or financial derivatives;
- Experience with cloud technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, S3, Kubernetes is a plus
What you will learn on the job?
- A deep understanding of hedge fund strategies and signals that drive them
- Build platform that enables alpha generation at scale
- Aladdin – the investment platform used to manage >$15 Trillion of the global assets.
- How to apply machine learning and data science technology to alpha generation
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.