What we do
BlackRock’s business is investing on behalf of our clients, from large institutions to parents and grandparents, doctors and teachers who entrust their savings to us. We are committed to our clients—period. Our promise is to offer them the clearest thinking about what to do with their money and the products and services they need to secure a better financial future.
That’s why investors of all kinds have made us the world’s largest asset manager, entrusting us with trillions of dollars, and it’s why companies, institutions and global governments come to us for help meeting their biggest financial challenges.
About this role
BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
BlackRock’s Legal and Compliance team works with business teams to develop investment management products and business solutions that comply with the numerous legal and regulatory requirements to which BlackRock is subject and to deploy capital managed on behalf of clients. Legal and Compliance is responsible for, among other things, overseeing regulatory matters; coordinating litigation and legal proceedings; negotiating and structuring contracts and other complex transactions; providing ongoing legal advice across investment platforms regarding new and existing products, strategies and investments; establishing legal and compliance policies and procedures that meet applicable regulatory requirements and testing the operative effectiveness of those policies and procedures and conducting training.
L&C Restructuring/ Credit Transactions Group Attorney
We are searching for an experienced distressed credit/restructuring transactional attorney that will provide legal coverage of transactions and investments across the BlackRock investment platform, including specialized financings, liability management transactions, special situations and in court and out of court restructurings. This role will have key responsibility for supporting activities relating to distressed credit positions and investments across the alternatives and global fixed income platforms, including private and public debt and equity distressed transactions, restructurings, wall crossings, regulatory advice in relation to fund structures and implementation of internal policies etc. The ideal candidate must have the ability to coordinate complex projects and transactions involving different business groups and multiple products.
- Act as transaction counsel on all US distressed investments, manage transaction execution, review and negotiate full range of investment and restructuring documentation.
- Review, draft and negotiate special situations investment documentation including loan and security documentation (including intercreditor documentation), bond documentation, private placement agreements, asset and stock purchase agreements, exchange documentation, restructuring support agreements, chapter 11 documentation, shareholders’ agreements, subscription agreements, non-disclosure agreements, letters of intent, term sheets and other similar transactional documentation.
- Manage outside counsel review of all investment documentation and oversee outside counsel with respect to investments generally.
- Coordinate and work with business teams, product attorneys, compliance, tax, and operations teams regarding various credit and special situations transactions.
- Provide advice and support to internal stakeholders to develop, establish and improve internal processes relating to distressed/special situations investments.
- Coordinate with compliance teams with respect to information barriers, restricted list reviews, inside information, thresholds and other regulatory coverage areas.
- Analyze and manage a variety of regulatory issues affecting the BlackRock investment platform, including the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Investment Company Act of 1940, Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, Dodd Frank Act, etc.
- Take initiative to identify and analyze problems, generate alternative solutions and make decisions with little direction/supervision.
- A J.D. with superior academic credentials from a nationally-recognized law school and five to seven years' experience as a lawyer in a major law firm or the legal department of an asset manager, investment bank or other leading organization.
- Significant experience in restructuring and distressed matters (both in and out of court).
- Strong technical legal and commercial skills.
- Experience advising fund managers and non-bank institutions as lenders or investors is a plus.
- Ability to oversee and effectively manage outside counsel and internal stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with others and manage multiple time sensitive matters in a demanding, fast-paced and fluid environment.
- Motivated team player with ability to work independently and potential to lead as necessary.
- Ability to take initiative to anticipate, identify and analyze issues, generate potential solutions and make decisions with little direction/supervision.
- Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, written and oral communication skills – must be able to resolve complex issues in a practical manner on a compressed timeline and to communicate complex concepts in an understandable way.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – presents ideas in a clear, concise and constructive manner.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
Job requisition #